Wednesday, May 23, 2007

New Growth!
These are pink, white and red Cosmos popping up. Cosmos are one of my favorite flowers to grow....they require little care and grow quite quickly once the weather warms up.

These are Calendulas growing in one of my flower boxes on the back porch...these too, are very easy to grow! And I believe that you can eat the petals of this flower. I think these are a mix of yellows and oranges.

And in the other two flower boxes are Zinnias. This variety is called "Thumbelina". The plants only grow to about 6" tall and they come in yellow, pink, orange and white. Most of the seeds I planted sprouted, so some will be transplanted to my back flowerbed when they're a little bigger.

The Allium opened! Well, almost...as you can see, it's covered with lots of tiny flowers that don't open all at once. I'm not sure what variety this Allium is, but it stands about 18" tall. It is very picky about water and heat...have to keep my eye on it!

I can't remember what this perennial is...maybe an aster? It's a very pretty pink. I'll take another photo when it blooms.

And finally, my sunflowers finally decided to grace us with their presence! I wasn't sure they would come up...they were buried very deep after soil from the neighbor's yard was pushed through under the fence. I took away what I could and here they are! This variety is special...it's called "Jade"...a very light green Sunflower. I found the packet at Kmart. It's a Martha Stewart packet. These grow to about 4-5" and are branching, so I should have lots of flowers this year!

No comments: