Friday, January 12, 2007

My Process of Creating Spinning Batts
Here's what I begin with...the batch I'm working on today consists of(from left-right), turquoise and blue Polypay wool, light green Alpaca and bluish-green Targhee wool. I washed, dyed and carded all of these myself from raw fleeces. I take the time to pick out as much vm as I can. And all the fibers that I wash from the raw state are run through my carder a minimum of two times to get to this state. I'm a fairly picky spinner, so I want the fiber I sell to reflect my personal preferences!
I started carding and the first run-through looked like this. I split the batt in half lengthwise, kept one half separate and carded the other half. You can see that the colors blended a lot(top of photo)...I didn't quite like the look of this...so I tried it again...this time with thicker layers. (below)
I did the same thing....split the batt and carded half. This time it was better...not blended quite so much...but I just wasn't satisfied. I then decided to not use the white and card one thick layer of each color. I took the batt off, peeled off each color in it's entirety, pulled it into a roving form and ran each back through in stripes.
My carder is a Louet Jr. The larger wheel is about 4 inches wide, which I love...so the four colors fit perfectly with a little overlapping. I think these came out beautifully...and I was quite satisfied!

No comments: